Nevada State Democratic Party spokesperson Stewart Boss: “Senator Heller has been lying to his constituents again – this time, by trying to tell them that Governor Sandoval supports his proposal to radically restructure Medicaid, increase your out-of-pocket costs and take more than $250 million in federal health care funding away from Nevada. Governor Sandoval is right to raise concerns about Senator Heller’s extreme repeal plan, its deep cuts, and the serious harm it would cause for Nevada families.”
The Nevada Independent: Sandoval questions sanctuary city ballot question, says it's too early to weigh in on Graham-Cassidy-Heller ACA replacement
By Riley Snyder
August 25th, 2017
Gov. Brian Sandoval said Friday it’s too early to take a position on a major federal health insurance reform proposal backed by Republican Sen. Dean Heller, but he expressed concern about its impact on Nevada.
Although Heller told a conservative talk show host last week that Sandoval — the first Republican governor to expand Medicaid under the ACA and a vocal opponent of efforts to roll back funding for the expanded population — was on board with the Graham-Cassidy-Heller concept, the governor said it would “premature” for him to comment until a final version of the bill had been introduced and his staff had a chance to analyze the bill.
“I don’t want to commit to one thing or the other, but I do have a litmus test, which is that Nevada be held harmless,” he said.
But the governor did say that reports like the one by left-leaning Center on Budget and Policy Priorities showing Nevada could lose more than $250 million in federal funding under the amendment had him concerned.
“That’s a problem,” he said. “I’ve said all along that I want the state to be held harmless. I want to ensure that those 210,000 people who were the beneficiaries of the opt-in and the newly eligibles are covered.”