As Donald Trump takes the debate stage tonight to spew more lies and empty rhetoric, working families across Nevada are still suffering the consequences of his broken promises. Here’s what you need to know ahead of the final presidential debate:
“Tonight, Donald Trump will try to distract voters from his failure to lead by spouting more lies. Trump will claim we are ‘rounding the turn’ on the pandemic, even as coronavirus cases surge in Nevada and across the country,” said Nevada State Democratic Party Chair William McCurdy II. “Here’s the truth: Despite having months to get a handle on this crisis, Trump lied to the American public at every turn, failed to implement a national strategy of containment, and is still trying to rip away health care from working families in the middle of a pandemic. That’s why Nevada voters are rejecting Trump’s failed record by voting early and making their voices heard at the ballot box in record numbers. In just 12 days, we will elect Joe Biden and Kamala Harris, two leaders who will stand up for Nevada’s working families, help build our economy back better, and dig us out of the chaos Trump has created.”
Background on Trump’s Broken Promises
Promise: “The pandemic is rounding the turn.” [Trump Campaign Rally, Carson City, NV 10/18/20]
- Reality: Since the beginning of the pandemic, over 91,00 cases of COVID-19 have been reported in Nevada, and more than 1,700 Nevadans have tragically lost their lives due to the virus.
- Reality: Now, Nevada’s rate of COVID-19 cases is on the rise again, and the White House recently redesignated the state as a coronavirus “red zone.”
Promise: “We’re going to have health care that is so good and so much less expensive.” [Trump Campaign Rally, Las Vegas NV, 10/30/16]
- Reality: As President, Trump has overseen a rise in uninsured Nevadans, all while attempting to sabotage the ACA over and over again.
- Reality: Despite the coronavirus crisis, Trump has continued his reckless effort to terminate the ACA without a replacement plan in place.
- Reality: If Trump’s legal assault on the ACA is successful, 309,000 Nevadans could lose their coverage in the middle of a pandemic — right when they need it the most.
Promise: “At the core of my contract is my plan to bring back our jobs.” [Trump Campaign Rally, Las Vegas NV, 10/30/16]
- Reality: Trump’s botched pandemic response has left more than 190,000 Nevadans without jobs, and left our economy with one of the nation’s highest unemployment rates at 12.6%.