Wayne Allyn Root, a member of Danny Tarkanian’s #TeamTark and a radio shock-jock with a long history of racist, sexist, homophobic statements, alleged in his weekly column that the man who mailed bombs to prominent Democrats is actually a “patsy.” Root appears to believe that Democrats orchestrated the mail bomb campaign to produce sympathy.
Root writes in the Review Journal:
“Guess what? It took two full years, but liberals finally found a patsy.”
“This useful idiot changed the headlines [...] generating sympathy for Democrats.”
“Congratulations, Democrats. It took you two years, but out of 63 million Trump voters, you finally found one violent nutjob.”
Wayne Allyn Root is the second member of #TeamTark in the last week to push conspiracy theories around the bombings. Talking Points Memo reported Amy Tarkanian’s advocacy for a mail bombing conspiracy theory.
Today Danny Tarkanian is hosting a fundraiser with Roger Stone, the infamous political consultant who has been implicated in 2016 election meddling. Stone, like Root, has also claimed that there is a conspiracy behind the October 1st shooting massacre in Las Vegas.
Background on Wayne Allyn Root
- Root repeatedly promoted the conspiracy theory that ISIS was responsible for the October 1st massacre.
- Root claimed that Unite the Right participants in Charlottesville were paid actors.
- Root “suggested that Mollie Tibbets was somehow responsible for her own death because she foolishly went running outside.”
- Root said that “all liberal men are gay” and “all liberal women are ugly”
- Root was a leading voice in the racist “birther” delusion against President Obama, whom Root called “the first Muslim President”.
- Root was the opening speaker for Danny Tarkanian and Donald Trump at his rally in Las Vegas in September.
Nevada State Democratic Party spokesperson Michael Soneff released the following statement:
“Danny Tarkanian and his campaign surrogates are either out of touch with reality or intentionally spreading misinformation and fear. They have spread conspiracy theories about the October 1st shootings, and now they have moved on to the mail bombs. Danny Tarkanian should publicly denounce this fear mongering and misinformation and take steps to remove it from his campaign. Nevadans deserve a Member of Congress who will tell them the truth, and that is obviously not Danny Tarkanian.”