The group’s administrator and leader, Mike Michaels, has endorsed Danny’s campaign and often solicits support for Danny from the group’s members. Michaels regularly adds xenophobic and racist posts to the group.
Danny has a history of making racially-insensitive comments, including the time he suggested that he would “pretend we’re black and maybe try to get some votes.”
Nevada State Democratic Party spokesperson Michael Soneff released the following statement:
“Danny Tarkanian is a leader of this racist Facebook group and has attempted to recruit its members to his campaign. Danny has a well-documented history of extremist positions, and his leadership of this racist group is yet more evidence of his views. There is no excuse for this sort of hatred, and it doesn’t belong in Congress.”
Background on Danny Tarkanian’s Scandals:
- Danny received a $16 million bailout from the FDIC for a failed "equestrian destination resort" in California.
- Danny helped to set up a series of telemarketing companies that scammed senior citizens.
- Danny borrowed $200,000 against his parents' life insurance policy without their knowledge.
- Danny ran up a $161,000 operating deficit running a children's basketball charity, while drawing $289,000 in salary.
- Danny funneled $40,000 from a children’s basketball charity into one of his political campaigns.
- Danny’s real estate businesses racked up significant penalties from the IRS, including $23,000 in back taxes, interest, penalties, and fees.
- Danny was implicated in an academic fraud scheme that resulted in penalties from the NCAA.
- Danny was sanctioned by the Nevada State Bar for failing to comply with a court order and for practicing law without an active license.
- Danny was fired from a telemarketing/long-distance phone company for allegedly forging a customer’s Social Security number and signature.