Las Vegas, NV – Vulnerable Republican Senator Dean Heller is probably breathing a sigh of relief as he heads back to Washington today after a very, very bad two-week recess.
Here’s a quick recap:
FIRST WEEK: BAD POLL, LEAKED AUDIO
Morning Consult: How Voters View 2018’s Most Vulnerable Senators
- “Sen. Dean Heller (R-Nev.) has the weakest approval of the 10 most vulnerable lawmakers next cycle. Only 43 percent of Nevadans approve of his job performance, while 32 percent disapprove, up 4 points since September.”
Reno Gazette-Journal: Dean Heller thinks he's going to get yelled at during town hall
- “Nevada Sen. Dean Heller told a group of conservatives earlier this week he "will do everything I can to get to a yes" on repealing Obamacare and suggested he was withholding his approval of the GOP health care plan in Congress to get attention from the White House. The comments were picked up by a tracker for the Nevada Democratic Party…”
THE “RANCOROUS” TOWN HALL
- “Heller was drowned out by chants of "yes or no!" and "answer the question!" when hundreds of crowd members saw his answers as evasive.”
- “One questioner warned Heller that he needs to represent the entire state, not just his GOP supporters. "You don't really represent me anymore," she said. "You need to start listening to the concerns of your constituents, and I think you lost that."”
Reno Gazette-Journal: Noisy Reno crowd greets Heller, Amodei at town hall
- “The trend of Republicans facing raucous town halls continued on Monday in Reno as U.S. Sen. Dean Heller and U.S. Rep. Mark Amodei faced a swath of angry Nevadans who demanded answers.”
The Nevada Independent: Tough questions, prickly Reno crowd pressure Heller & Amodei at town hall
Talking Points Memo: GOP Senator Faces Accusations That He's A 'Rubber Stamp' For Trump At Town Hall
New York Times: “Mr. Heller plainly does not relish the town-hall format”
DAMAGING LIE ON PLANNED PARENTHOOD
- “What a difference a day can make. We told you Nevada Sen. Dean Heller should expect a fierce blowback from social conservatives after he defended Planned Parenthood in a rowdy town hall meeting Monday afternoon. Penny Nance, the president of Concerned Women for America, fired the first public warning shot in our article. Less than 24 hours later, Heller was singing a different tune.”
Reno Gazette-Journal: Sen. Heller lied to my face about Planned Parenthood: Donna West
KLAS Las Vegas: “How does the Senator explain that?”
NEW TV AD: Planned Parenthood launched an ad on local TV in Reno and Las Vegas using video of Heller’s pledge to protect the organization to put pressure on him and remind voters of his comments.
CONSERVATIVES REVOLT: The GOP’s right-wing activists did not look kindly on Heller trying to mislead voters about his support for defunding Planned Parenthood.
- LISTEN: Heller took a beating from conservative talk radio
- Erick Erickson: “Dean Heller must be defeated by either a better Republican or a Democrat.”
- Conservative Review: “GOP Sen. Dean Heller’s latest pro-life flip is the rotten cherry on top of his craptastic voting record.”
- Concerned Women for America president Penny Nance: “Disappointed doesn’t even begin to cover the reaction our members in Nevada will have when we inform them of Heller's new position.”
- Family Research Council president Tony Perkins: “Senator Heller's waffling over federal funding for Planned Parenthood should be completely unacceptable to a majority of the voters in Nevada who elected him based in part on his pro-life promises.”
DEMS TARGET HELLER ON SATURDAY
The DNC’s “Come Together and Fight Back” tour made its final stop in Las Vegas on Saturday with a rally at UNLV with Senator Bernie Sanders, new DNC Chair Tom Perez and Planned Parenthood Action Fund President Cecile Richards.
The number one target? Dean Heller.
Las Vegas Sun: “All three speakers at Saturday’s speech criticized U.S. Senator Dean Heller, R.-Nev., urging attendees to “hold him to his word” on remarks he made in support of Planned Parenthood during a town hall event Wednesday in Reno. Richards went as far as to read the phone number to one of Heller’s office lines, telling attendees to call “every day, or every hour.”
VIDEO of Cecile Richards handing out Heller’s phone number: “To prevent millions of folks in this country from losing access to health care, I need you to take out your phones and add Senator Dean Heller to your speed dial.” Watch here.