Sen. Dean Heller talks about standing between Washington and nuclear waste heading to Yucca Mountain—but a closer look at his record reveals he may be part of the problem. As the Republican-controlled House gets ready to jam through a bill today in another reckless effort to revive Yucca Mountain, let’s take a quick trip down memory lane...
- In 2011, Heller voted for a Republican budget that included funding to re-open Yucca Mountain.
- In 2016, Heller voted to send Donald Trump to the White House—his administration is one of the driving forces behind reviving Yucca Mountain.
- In 2017, Heller voted to confirm President Trump’s budget director Mick Mulvaney—the former Republican Congressman says new funding for Yucca Mountain is all his idea.
- Just last week, Heller failed to stop his personal ally, close friend and frequent gym buddy House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy from scheduling the House floor vote on the latest Yucca Mountain bill.
- In fact, Heller “has brought no GOP allies to bear” when it comes to stopping nuclear waste at Yucca Mountain.
- Heller is currently declining to comment on the nearly $50,000 in campaign contributions he’s been raking in from corporate special interests advocating for a nuclear waste dump at Yucca Mountain.
- And how could we forget: Heller endorsed former Florida Gov. Jeb! Bush for President last cycle... even though he had a lenghty history as a pro-Yucca lobbyist.